Hey guys! Welcome to our ENGLISH BITES – The simplest, easiest and best way to practice your listening – the only one that is 100% created, executed and delivered from me to you – This is Erika Belmonte speaking and I’ll be more than pleased to be here with you guys three times a week and I’m pretty sure we’ll have a great time together – because more than learning and improving your English, I also want you to have some fun through a very exclusive content.
Oh…. One more thing, in case you need the transcription of this English Bite, please go to www.clubedoingles.com/englishbites and look for episode 06.
And today is January 2nd – our first ENGLISH BITE of the year! Happy New Year, guys!
And I’d like to take the opportunity since a brand-new year has just
begun to talk about new goals, new opportunities, new habits and new plans. They’re called NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS.
A lot people start making huge New Year’s resolutions on the first day, promising so many different things, so many changes… And I’ll include myself in that list ok? Let’s not be hypocrite, but most of us, forget where we wrote these dreams and promises and we dive in our crazy routines along the year and in December, we start remembering all those things that were once plans and dreams, but for some reason, were left behind.
Yep, we do have our real excuses, I know that. But I also know we are the ones responsible for getting what we want, reaching our goals and changing our lives. If we don’t it, who else will? My intention with today’s English Bite is to encourage not only you, but us , to write a different story in 2018.
I’d like to share some special pieces of advice that I not only strongly believe but I do try to follow in my daily routine. One tip: write them down in a place where you can see them EVERY SINGLE DAY. You’re gonna need them!!
- MAKE YOURSELF A PRIORITY ONCE IN A WHILE. IT’S NOT SELFISH. IT’S NECESSARY.
- We tend to think about others first: boss, husband/wife, kids, family, friends, coworkers, mom, dad, in-laws… and what about us? What about our priorities? Our dreams? It’s OK to save some time for ourselves. It’s OK to be a little selfish and do what takes us closer to what we want.
- Don’t neglect your time… and don’t neglect your life! You’ll regret it in some years.
- BE GENTLE WITH YOURSELF. YOU’RE DOING THE BEST YOU CAN.
- Please, stop saying: “I’M SO STUPID! I CAN’T LEARN. / I’M TOO OLD FOR THAT. THAT’S NOT FOR ME.
- WHEN A CHILD IS LEARNING HOW TO WALK AND FALLS DOWN 100 TIMES, HE NEVER THINKS TO HIMSELF: “MAYBE THIS IS NOT FOR ME”
- Be proud of every single step you move forward.
- Stop punishing or whipping yourself. You are your best friend so be kind, be nice, be supportive.
- BE COMFORTABLE WITH THE UNKNOWN
- Sure, no one likes feeling uncomfortable, but it’s a big part of improving your performance, creativity and learning in the long run. If it’s good and easy, you’re not gonna grow, improve, learn and go one step further. That’s what our challenges made of and we need to learn how to deal with it.
- DON’T COMPARE YOUR LIFE TO OTHERS. THERE’S NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE SUN AND THE MOON. THEY SHINE WHEN IT’S THEIR TIME
- Guys, stop comparing your lives, your knowledge and everything you know and what you don’t know to others. Comparisons are always unfair. We usually compare the worst we know of ourselves to the best we imagine about others. You have nothing to gain, but much to lose like your pride, your dignity, your drive, and your passion…
- If you need to compare, compare with yourself. Be better today than you were yesterday. See how different you are from 6 months to now.
- STOP PROCRASTINATING!
- The biggest barrier that keeps most people from reaching their goals is the desire to relax and do something fun instead of working hard. Once you get used to procrastinating it’s difficult to snap yourself out of it, so you’ll need to put in a lot of work to change this bad habit. Stop procrastinating!
- DON’T FOCUS ON BEING PERFECT. FOCUS ON MAKING PROGRESS.
- That’s definitely for me… and for some of you kkkk. I know, it’s hard. We feel like showing, posting, delivering and doing things when they perfect and sometimes we take much longer than usual because things are not the way we were expecting.
- But the point is: making progress is much more important than that – and along our progress, we make these things better and better and better.
- So let’s focus on making progress alright? Alright Erika? Yep!
- DOUBT KILLS MORE DREAMS THAN FAILURE EVER WILL.
- That’s one of the strongest advice I follow and that I tell myself the most. Just between you and me ok? But I believe my family, friends and you guys, believe more in my potential than me. I’ve already mentioned that to you in my first English Bite… you have no idea how doubtful I was regarding new projects like ENGLISH BITES some months ago… and today I just can’t stop asking myself: WHY THE HELL HAVEN’T I STARTED IT BEFORE?
- That’s a lesson I’ve been learning and I want you to never let your doubts kill your dreams.
- IF YOU GET TIRED, LEARN HOW TO REST, NOT TO QUIT. WHEN WE LOSE ALL OUR EXCUSES, WE FIND OUR RESULTS.
- We all have problems, losses, stressful days, frustrated situations… and it’s ok to stop for a while. To stop to breath, think, analyze, change the course of the boat…
- What it’s not ok is to QUIT just because something went wrong or not according to what you’ve planned. Take any time you need, but get back on track as soon as you can. Your future will depend on it.
- DON’T FEAR FAILURE. FEAR BEING IN THE EXACT SAME PLACE NEXT YEAR AS YOU ARE TODAY.
- That’s the last and the best piece of advice!
- Oprah Winfrey was fired from her job as a news anchor because she…”wasn’t for television”?!?!?!
- Walt Disney was fired by the editor of a newspaper because he lacked imagination and had no good ideas.
- And the most inspiring one for me: J. K. ROWLING was unemployed, divorced and raising a daughter on social security while writing the first Harry Potter novel. Her novel “Harry Potter” was rejected by 12 publishing houses. Can you believe that?
Well… I’d stay here all day long talking about positive messages but I want you to think about the ones left here. Which one did you like the most? In case you write them down – you should actually – take a picture and show me where you’re gonna put it as a daily reminder. As soon as I get back home (in two weeks) I’ll share mine with you all ok?
So that’s it for today. Happy New Year once again, cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get our dreams and plans right.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your support and for listening to this English bite.
If there’s anyone you know that would like to receive our English Bites, please guide them to clubedoingles.com/whatapp so they can subscribe and receive our English bites as well.
Take care of yourselves and I’ll see you on the next one. Bye