Hey guys! Welcome to our ENGLISH BITES – The simplest, easiest and best way to practice your listening – the only one that is 100% created, executed and delivered from me to you – This is Erika Belmonte speaking and I’ll be more than pleased to be here with you guys three times a week and I’m pretty sure we’ll have a great time together – because more than learning and improving your English, I also want you to have some fun through a very exclusive content.
Oh…. One more thing, in case you need the transcription of this English Bite, please go to www.clubedoingles.com/englishbites and look for the episode number 40.
I guess that’s the first time we’re going to have an English Bite here where I’ll suggest you guys some videos to watch and if you like the idea, I can come back and bring you much more. I love browsing the web, checking YouTube, Ted and several other video platforms we have to learn and acquire some more knowledge. And the best of it is when we search for videos that we also can learn some English, because we are practicing our listening and at the same time, getting information, learning something new.
Some curiosities about these videos:
- They are all videos from TED, a media organization website which posts talks online for free distribution, under the slogan “ideas worth spreading”. It started with topics like technology, entertainment and design (that’s why the acronym TED) but nowadays you can find any topic there. Yes, it’s my favorite option for videos nowadays because I always learn a lot from anything I decide to watch.
- One of the videos is in Canadian English, another in British English and the other two ones, American English. I love varying the accent so we don’t get used to only one type.
- Since I love you guys very much, I’m also providing the transcription of each video in case you want to work with the vocabulary or check the pronunciation.
Alright, so let’s get this list started:
- The first video I would like to recommend is actually my favorite one ever. It’s a very inspiring 17 minute-video where Neil Pasricha talks about “THE 3 As OF AWESOME” – Yeah, A as in letter A, as in Australia. The 3 As of Awesome. That’s a MUST WATCH and I’m sure you will love it. Just out of curiosity, it’s been watched for over 3 million people… What I can tell you is that in this heartfelt talk, he reveals the 3 secrets (all starting with A) to leading a life that’s truly awesome. The link for the video is in the transcription ok? Oh, and by the way, that’s the video where the guy is Canadian.
- Second video is in British English. I’m a huge fan of this girl on Instagram, her name is Iskra Lawrence. She is a famous British Model who boasts an incredible three million followers on Instagram. Iskra uses the platform to share her thoughts on body image, eating disorders and the importance of self-love. She has long been committed to improving the image of women in the media, having been told she was both “too big” for straight-size modeling and “not big enough” for plus-modeling and she is also committed to posting unretouched images on her social media channels. Well, in this video she talks about “The ending pursuit of perfection”
- The third video is from another model, her name is Cameron Russel, she’s American but this video talks about something very different and I’d say, quite interesting. The title of the video is “Looks aren’t everything. Believe me. I’m a model”. Well, this video has been watched for over 21 million people – like wow – Just for you to know, she has stomped the runways for Victoria’s Secret and Chanel, and has appeared in many magazines. Ok, what’s the video about, Erika? Cameron Russell admits she won “a genetic lottery”: she’s tall, pretty and an underwear model. But don’t judge her by her looks. In this fearless talk, she takes a wry look at the industry that had her looking highly seductive at barely 16 years old. Watch it, guys! It’s really worth it! Again, the link for the video will be in the transcription ok?
- And the last video (but my second favorite one hhhaa) is “How great leaders inspire action” by one of my favorite authors Simon Sinek. Well, this little guy had performed a presentation at TED and the video has reached the margin of 38 million views. I’d say it’s unbelievable. 38 million views. Anyway, if you haven’t heard or watched this video, in my opinion, that’s another MUST WATCH. This guy is the author of “Start with why” (another favorite of mine) and in this presentation he shows a simple but powerful model for inspirational leadership — starting with a golden circle and the question “Why?” His examples include Apple, Martin Luther King, and the Wright brothers …
Well these are my 4 suggestions for today and I really hope you guys enjoy each one of them. Let me know when you watch and your opinion and feelings about them and if this topic was a great catch for our English Bites ok? 🙂 You guys know I love your feedbacks.
So, that’s it for today guys. I really hope you have enjoyed today’s episode. THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your support and for listening to this English bite. If you have any suggestion, anything you’d like to learn from our English Bites, please let me know alright?
If there’s anyone you know that would like to receive our English Bites, please guide them to clubedoingles.com/whatsapp so they can subscribe and receive our English bites as well.
Take care of yourselves and I’ll see you on the next one. Bye